Monday, November 16, 2009

My mom was moved to Hospice today and is now completely unresponsive. I visited for a bit tonight with my mom's good friends and my dad and it was actually a very nice time together. I can't believe that in one week I have gone from thinking my mom might make it to her 63rd birthday in March to knowing that her time on Earth can likely be counted in days. But she is a person who can honestly leave this place with no regrets--there is nothing she wishes she had done (because she has done it all!), no person she wishes she had spent time with (because that's what she does with her time) and no sale she wishes she had gone to :-). She is definitely a light in this world. I am so glad that this is happening quickly and painlessly for her. It is still hard. But I know that she knows the Lord and that makes all the difference.


This is from June 2004 when she carried the Olympic torch for part of the Atlanta stretch.

8 comments:

Robyn said...

Katy- you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. Your Mom sounds like she was quite a lady!!!!

Jen said...

Katy~ you and your family continue to be in ther forefront of my thoughts and prayers! I wish I lived closer so that I could be there to help in whatever I could do for you!!!!

Holly said...

Katy, your mom is in our prayers, along with you and your family.

sherry petry said...

Katy, your comments are so good. I understand completely how you can have a "nice time" amid worry and grief and how your view of the situation can change so quickly. Is your mom unresponsive because of medication? Knowing the life your mother has led can indeed get you through the hard days ahead and you will laugh while you're crying. If there is anything we can do, we would be honored to help. Sherry

Steve and Darcy said...

Katy, I have been thinking of you and praying for you. I am so sorry that this has happened - I can't imagine how hard it must be. Please don't hesitate to ask if you need ANYTHING!! Even if it's just an ear to listen.

aworkingmommy said...

Katy thanks for the blog. I feel fortunate that I was able to visit your mom on Friday at Emory before she became unresponsive. I'll be visiting at Hospice on Wednesday and i too, as sad as i am, am so thankful for how quickly this is happening and for the comfort in knowing that she will soon be sitting with our heavenly father.
Love,
Stacie

Peamama said...

Oh, Katy. So sorry to hear this. I will be praying for God's presence to be especially evident the next few days for you and your family.

Unknown said...

Katy,
My family and I are praying for all of you. Your mom has always been such an inspiration of life and love. I'm a much better person for knowing her and knowing you.
Love,
Kathy Patten Kania