Wednesday, November 18, 2009

My mom is still resting comfortably at Hospice Atlanta (a wonderful place, as much as it can be...) She is basically in a coma, sleeping soundly all the time because of her liver toxicity and likely the brain mets. It is such a kindness that she is quiet and pain free. I did ask the boys last night if they wanted to visit her and they said no. They already told her "I love you" and "goodbye" when she was still home this past weekend. Landon said he doesn't like to see Mimi that way. I agree! I have never seen my mom so still in her whole life. I visited my dad there this morning and then brought the girls back later today. They like to rub mom's feet and Hope always gives her a kiss. Hope was insistent to see the doctor today, I think to see who is taking care of Mimi. As I think on it, Hope only saw my mom maybe 10 times or less but my mom already made a big impression on her.

I think some people must have been praying for peace for us because we have it (okay, at least a lot of the time). In some ways it feels like a calm before a storm but it is so nice to be able to rest in Him, at least some every day.

And, I have such good friends!!! Thank you for all the emails, comments, Facebook comments and phone calls. It is truly great to know you are there standing alongside us. Food is coming in :-)

I feel like this verse shows something about my mom:

From 1 Timothy 6:
Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share. In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life.

also not to get preachy but just have to say what "the life" is and why mom will not truly die, it's my blog anyway, right :-) ?,
from John 11
Jesus said..."I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies"

I hardly cried today (for once!!) until I started looking at some old pictures and thinking how much my mom (and dad) has served me and my family over the years.

Here we are at the 2 day breast cancer walk in 2006

3 comments:

My Kids' Mom said...

Katy, it's wonderful that you're able to remain so strong. I hope your mother remains one of Hope's first memories of her new life with your family. She clearly has some important connection to your mom.

aworkingmommy said...

Your entire family has made such a "footprint" on my life, and it brings peace to my own heart to know that you are all handling this with God's grace and comfort. I really like that Timothy verse. It speaks for itself.
Stacie

abbiegrace said...

Praise the Lord for your sweet mom. I love what you said about looking back over pictures and being reminded of all the ways your parents have served you and your family over the years.