Anyway, Saturday, we went to the Great Wall. Lilla said "we're here! I've waited YEARS to see the Great Wall!" She then proceeded to make us climb really really far! We climbed and climbed and finally had to go back so we would be at the bus on time. We ended with lychee flavored popsicles. Very refreshing! After that we went to the Summer Palace and I mean we couldn't see anything but people. We did enjoy a Dragon Boat ride which was nice.
Last night most of our group (no guide) went to a Cantonese restaurant. Thankfully there was a picture menu and a patient waitress who spoke a little English. She kept telling us we didn't order enough. But when the food came, oh my gosh. One thing one of the dads ordered was dumplings for everyone. They ended up being steamed buns which are about as big as a baby's head. He had ordered 12 of them! On top of that we had "delicious black fungus" (it was!), a whole fish with head and tail, stir fried pigeon and peppers with noodles, spicy beef, green beans, broccoli with about 20 cloves of garlic, a few other dishes we don't remember ordering, 3 giant beers (accidentally giant), tea and bottled water. When we got the bill, it was only about $6.75 per person! We did everything wrong, from Mark pouring his tea into the soup bowl, to all of us using our placemats as napkins. The whole kitchen staff was watching us and laughing, and most of the restaurant employees came by to see what we were up to.
We also got some additional information about Hope and found that she is called Song Yi (song-ee it sounds like). She likes "Bobby dolls" I am assuming means Barbie. We brought her one, so good :-). We also now know the names of her foster parents. My favorite quote from the update is:
Q: What does he/she hate? What makes him/her upset?
A: She has good personalities. We haven't found that she dislikes anything. She will get upset when she is criticized or she can't find a friend to play with her. She will calm down if you explain to her or give her more attention. She is easily to satisfy.
Earlier in the report it says she is a "gentle, thoughtful and lovely girl."
So right now it is 7:22am in China. I have been up since 4am! We will meet Hope Song Yi tomorrow at 2:30pm!! Please do keep praying for Lilla. She seems a little nervous and said she is very excited but scared, like being on a roller coaster! I totally understand the feeling!!






5 comments:
Looks like you are having a great time! I was wondering if you are having trouble blogging there? That's funny about all that food! I bet they got quite the show! :) Can't wait to see the pictures on "Gotcha Day!"
Can't wait to see your 2 girls together - they will forever share such a special bond - we see it every day!
The restaurant experience was great! I'll bet you all were quite a sight for that wait staff!
Love hearing about your trip. We hope to leave for our second daughter in a few weeks. We are taking our 5yr old daughter when we go and I would like to hear more on how Lilla is doing. She sounds great!
Liz Brennan
Cincinnati
It all sounds great and hilarious. Please give Lilla a hug from Lili. I love it that she is so excited to be there. One more day to Song Yi!
Love and luck -
Shannon
Katy: You are hysterical. Accidentally ordered big beers, my foot. Just kidding. By now, you should have Hope and I will be praying, continuing to pray, for all of you. I am traveling with a family from Michigan and they are naming their new daughter Lila! Incredible.
Post a Comment