Monday, August 31, 2009

Mark: It's Tuesday morning and I think Baba has officially been downgraded from Most Favored Parent status... Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. :) As Katy told another family at breakfast this morning, we are officially out of the Honeymoon Period. (K: It's like okay, now we're together forever, let's deal with it!) She is still very sweet, but definitely acting at least a year younger than her real age. She is testing more and more and becoming defiant at times - like trying to get her dressed before breakfast. Suddenly, all the clothes that she picked out at the store are no longer what she wants to wear... It's typical 5 or 4-year old girl behavior, but since we can't communicate and explain rationally, it sometimes makes the "stand-offs" last a bit longer. We expected this (and actually, potentially much worse) so it's no surprise.

(K: I don't think he's been downgraded, I think she is just checking to see what happens if she gives us the cold shoulder--do we give it back? We don't. In fact just 2 nights ago I was holding her and she said Mama Ai Wo, Baba Ai Wo, which means Mama loves me, Daddy loves me. I think she feels good with us but is just acting normal. I think how bratty would most kids seem sometimes especially when you don't know them, or what they've been through or even what they are saying! But I have had to put her down and not carry her a few times because she has pulled my hair or flicked me in the face. I just put her down and say No Hurts! Ouch! And get her to say Sorry even though she doesn't know the word, she understands what is going on. We have also realized that when she is hungry she gets very squirrely, so we have to watch that.)

We're nearing the end of the trip and we're all feeling restless and ready to be home. Some consistency in schedule and routine would help Song Yi and would definitely be good for Lilla, too. We're getting a bit stir-crazy being in the same hotel for 11 nights with only so many things to distract and keep two girls busy... We hate to complain, but we're ready to leave our suite at this resort. :) Time to be home.

K: PLEASE Pray for us on the trip home. It is a very long trip, even longer than our way over since we have to fly Guangzhou to Beijing with a few hours' layover before we even get to the Beijing-Chicago-Atlanta portion. It is weird to think that Song Yi probably won't even be speaking much Chinese this time next year (we'll try, but historically, most kids don't keep their language). We are taking her from what she knows and I know it is meant to be but I do feel a certain amount of guilt.

M: This afternoon, we will have our US Consulate appointment where we make an oath to care for our adopted child and to love them as our own. We do this with our whole travel group. It's a very official step, but from the same experience with Lilla, it's a lot of formality and a lot of effort (waiting, walking, waiting) for the process. In the meantime, once again, we are faced with the question of "so - what do we do now?" Thankfully, as I'm looking out the window, I see pretty clear skies (as clear as they get in this city, anyway) - so maybe the pool will be a good option today. We may need to shop again to get rid of some of our Yuan since we can't convert back to $US. What a quandry! How will I ever spend all this money?? :)

6 comments:

Groffs said...

Hi, Lilla and Song Yi! It's Anicka! I have 3 loose teeth! I thought I only had one loose tooth, but then Mama found 2 more right next to it that are a little wiggly, too. Lilla, I can't wait to see you at school and hear all about your time in China. Song Yi, I'm one of your sister's friends. I hope I get to meet you soon and I hope you like your new family. I was adopted from Russia and I think it's great. My family and I will pray your plane trips don't seem too long.

Love,
anicka

Groffs said...

Hi, Mr. and Mrs. Tubesing! This is Anicka's mama. ;-) We've been reading your blog and praying for all of you. We understand ALL TOO WELL the challenges that come when life is reduced to one room, no matter how luxurious. We are very eager to welcome you home and hope we'll get to meet your new family soon. Praying hard for a powerful reversal of the jet stream and/or God speed on your trip home... Plenty of Benedryl all around!

Much love,
Kirsten for the Groffs :-)

Peamama said...

I have loved reading all about your trip. Song Yi is adorable. I cry almost every time I look at her overjoyed face. She now has a family! Will be praying for your return trip.

Cupcakes and Hairbows said...

I remember how excited our big girls were when we pulled out a wad of yuan and told them they HAD to go spend it!!! What fun! Glad the pool is nice. I will pray for your travel home --yes, it's brutal, but you know it will (in relative time) come to an end -- just endure it!!! Can't wait to see you ALL! Lucy

cjc said...

We are thinking of you all, and feel so proud of you. Hang in there a few more days. I wish I could go back to Guonghzo for a couple of days of shopping and Lucy's, etc. (I can't even remember how to spell it!) We will pray for your plane trips. I think it will be okay! Just take it one little bit at a time. I'm sure you'll have lots of attention! Be safe. Much Love, Christy

Ellen and Kevin Fay said...

Bring me back a scorpion on a stick please