Saturday, August 29, 2009

Mark: Thursday morning was the medical exam. Fortunately, Song Yi only needed 2 shots and the TB skin test. Helen told me that Song Yi cried for the TB test, but did not cry at all when she got the other 2 shots. (Katy: when Helen told her that all kids who go to America have to have these shots, she said "hau ah" not sure how to spell it, but it is like okay, right. And she didn't cry. But she showed me over and over her TWO shots and stickers and candy she got. All the nurses and doctors said she was very sweet and cooperative. She was not able to do the vision test because she didn't understand how to turn her hand to look like the picture. I think she can see well out of her eye though because she was stringing beads with no problem)

Friday, the keyword for the day was "SWEATY". I can't remember the last time I produced so much sweat in a single day. We started off the day with a visit to the Guangzhou City Zoo. As much as I was dreading the possibility of a really horrible city zoo, we were very pleasantly surprised. It was a beautiful park in the middle of the city and the animal habitats were very well maintained and kept. We got to see gorillas, monkeys, tigers, lions, bears, zebras, giraffes, and more. Song Yi was very excited to see all the animals. There was new drama as Helen had borrowed a stroller since we were very tired of carrying the Princess around everywhere. We had Helen explain to Song Yi in Chinese that mama and baba's arms were getting tired and it was too hot to carry her all day. She agreed to ride in the stroller. But... of course, the other family Princess wanted stroller time, too (although she barely can squeeze herself into one). So, we went back and forth with the Princesses taking turns in the stroller. By the end of our time at the zoo, we all had sweat dripping off of our faces and completely soaking our clothes.

Helen then had the driver take us to a noodle house near the zoo. Wow! Fresh-made noodles and dumplings - delicious! (Katy: I actually saw a place like this on Food Network or somewhere. They make the noodles several yards long for good luck). Like at the zoo, we didn't see any other white folk around, so we were the staring targets for the morning. (K: and being a restaurant not marketed to westerners--took 2 girls twice to the squatty potty--now that is a workout) We fought to keep the girls awake in the van as we drove back to the hotel. We put them down for a nap and Katy took off to go shopping with a guide. (K: Ann at Red Threads--all I can say is wow. I got about 25 jade pendants, 6 pairs jade earrings, 7 jade bead bracelets, 3 sets [necklace, earrings, bracelet] very good quality pearls, 5 lower quality pearl necklaces, 7 sets of pearl earrings, a mah jong set, chess set, wooden box, fortune sticks game and a cab ride for about $300--if you are going to China, put on your tennis shoes, get your list ready and try to keep up with her! I did not see one non-Chinese person where we were) When Katy came back from her shopping expedition (2 hours later), she was once again completely drenched in sweat. She had walked all the way back to the hotel from the shopping center carrying all her purchases. At least she brought us some popsicles from the convenience store (we found a cheap store - NOT the 7-11, where the Chinese people go. We can get 4 popsicles for 4 Yuan, not 4 Yuan each....a 20-oz Coke for 3.5 Yuan, about 50 cents... and maybe a 40-oz TsingTao for 4 Yuan.. :) ) . She decided to take a shower at that point (which was totally premature).

(K: yes it was because after some silly putty time, we went out to drop off our laundry and get another stroller--we learn fast! Then we walked to the playground and 5 minutes later we were about 5 pounds lighter--all sweat! After playing a bit, we went to eat at a Thai restaurant. So funny there were no white people there either. It was the theme for the day--please stare at us. It was delicious but we ordered way too much food. A cute grandma next to us made motions that she was so happy we had Lilla and Song Yi. She pointed to her heart and us and later asked Meiguo? Which is-America? And I said yes. It was very sweet. Speaking of grandmas we get so cracked up at Song Yi. She wears her slippers/flip flops around and will not set foot in the bathroom without them.

I am feeling for Lilla--we are trying to be sure Song Yi doesn't monopolize our time and attention. And I have been encouraging Lilla not to let her take things from her. For example in the bath tonight, Song Yi had 9 water bottles and Lilla had one and I asked Song Yi to share and she did but later she kept trying to take them back and I told Lilla to tell her NO. Okay, tired, girls asleep, going to bed!!)

Jake and Landon--we miss you! Have fun at the beach!!

2 comments:

Sharla M. said...

Sounds like she is adjusting so well! We were in China last summer too and I am remembering how hot it was as I read your post...

I'm glad everything is going so well... beautiful photos!

Blessings!!

Cupcakes and Hairbows said...

Sounds like the same ole HOT Guangzhou! Stay close to the pool! Glad things are going well!