Wow, having sick kids really changes the days. Lilla finally went back to school today after 3 days home with bronchitis and conjunctivitis. Landon also stayed home with a cough Monday. And one day, my internet connection wasn't working and my tech support guy (aka Mark) was out of town. It was actually enjoyable to feel free of the computer and not be able to do anything since the kids were sick. I think there's a lesson in there somewhere and I'm trying to learn it!
I have been watching an Andy Stanley video series called Take it to the Limit. He talks about how so many of us are living life with no margins, rushing from one thing to the next and striving for money, lifestyle, position without really thinking why. He suggested starting each day by asking God what HE wants us to do with our day. Psalm 90:12 says: Teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom.
Also reminds me of an essay I read (and keep meaning to re-read, but hey, who has the time!?) by Charles Hummel called Tyranny of the Urgent. You can read it here
Anyway, he and Andy both say that we often choose what is urgent over what is important. Answering the phone, checking email as soon as we hear the ding, hurrying to a meeting are all urgent. My kids, my marriage, my health, time with God are all important, but often get squeezed by whatever is in front of my face. Thoughts to ponder.
Speaking of urgent, when we got in the car this morning to go to school, all the kids started yelling and accusing each other of making a bad smell. If you know what I mean. And I am yelling, oh stop it! Let's go! But then I get in the car and am knocked over by what appears to be the scent of a rotting corpse in my car. So as usual, I am thinking someone left a milk cup, but really this was beyond. We started looking for cups under the seats and in cupholders, kind of like an archaeological dig. You know your car gets bad too sometimes. Then I have a sinking feeling and go open the way back. And the smell gets worse. Guess what I found? A package of chicken that had been sitting in the car for 4 days. At least it isn't summer. Mark, FYI it was the cheap chicken from Target, not organic free range cruelty free $8/lb blissful life and then death chicken.
Now on to the IMPORTANT. This month is National Adoption Awareness Month. I am sure you are aware of adoption if you are reading this. Please don't forget to pray for orphans and abandoned children around the world. And if you feel so led, this is a good time to support adoption, either by adopting or supporting a cause that helps children who need it. I put a list of some of my favorites on the right.
Did you know that the Bible actually says a good bit about adoption and orphans? For one thing, to take care of them.
James 1:27
Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
But namely that we Gentiles were once orphans and God adopted us as sons and daughters. We got grafted into the old family tree.
After we adopted Lilla, I got the true meaning of that image. Our sons are amazing and having them was quite the bonding experience and I love them so much. But it just seemed normal and easy. My heart goes out to those who have had fertility problems and I know I am not as thankful as I should be. But when we adopted Lilla, that was something entirely different. It was very special, chosen, waited for, wished for and when it finally happened, I couldn't believe she was OURS. When I hear people ask if I love her the same, I think, well I definitely don't love her LESS if that's what the question means. But it is different because I am still so in awe that this child who was not born to us could fit into our family so perfectly and that I could love her and care for her and give her all the rights and priveledges we give our sons even though she came from somewhere else. Dare I say it is almost more special?
Same as how God looks at us. We were CHOSEN by him, not by anything we did or didn't do. Out of love for us and a desire to have relationship with us.
Ephesians 1:4-6
For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will— to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves.
Oh, PS-Our homestudy is done and very soon we'll be "in line" as waiting parents!
Thursday, November 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



5 comments:
"But it is different because I am still so in awe that this child who was not born to us could fit into our family so perfectly..."
Katy, this post was so touching to me. I loved that line in particular.
So glad to hear that your home study is done and that thing are moving right along! wonderful!
Katy, what a funny, beautiful, touching post! So well said...
I love Andy Stanley by the way and Tyranny of the Urgent is awesome! I've even heard Pastor Stanley's sermon on margins! My all time favorite is Canvas...It's Louie Giglio and Andy Stanley together...it's amazing!
I'm trying to figure out how to e-mail you so I can answer your question about photos... I used to photograph weddings, so I'd be glad to give you any tips that might be helpful. Also, look up Bryan Peterson's, "Understanding Exposure", "Learning to See Creatively" and "Understanding Digital Photography." His books completely altered the way I took photos... I would recommend starting with "Learning to See Creatively"... It completely changes how you see through the lens...
Sharla
Katy: Hi, we met at the Santa event last year in Phipps? With Donna, Shelby, Lucy, Ally, et al.? I knew you from somewhere but could not figure it out? Well, Donna told me she had your blog name and I'm so glad I found it! You still look familiar to me and someday I know we will figure it out. I love your scripture references and we are going back to China again too! Check out Frannie's blog and I'd love to keep in touch -- http://francescabrinifay. blogspot.com
Ellen
Katy,
I once left a gallon of milk in my trunk, so I totally understand about the chicken! I'm sure it smelled even worse, though! Oh, the life of a busy mom! :-)
Love, L
Hey Katy,
This is Stacie (Chisolm), not sure you would recognize my blog name...anyhew...I had tears in my eyes reading this blog. So true, that we often try to choose what WE think is important when God has his own plan entirely. I am learning to listen to GOd's voice and let him lead each day...it's hard especially when I have my own agenda. We go to Andy's STanley's Buckhead church,he is amazing and every message he shares has such meaning and purpose. Glad you are enjoying is series!
Post a Comment