I have had a lot of people ask me questions about the waiting child program. Basically, it is children with mostly minor medical needs, some more severe, but I guess that is very subjective. The most common needs are cleft lip/cleft palate, heart issues like VSD and ASD, orthopedic needs like club foot, missing fingers and toes, missing limbs (partial or total) and many other things you can read more about here if you're REALLY interested.
We filled out a checklist of needs we felt comfortable with, and we requested a girl, aged 1-4 years old. So when it's our turn, our agency will match us from a list they receive from China, and we will get a medical file and a picture we can email to a doctor to review for us. And we will have EIGHT HOURS to accept or reject the referral. Yes, 8 hours. Some people are really specific in what they request, but we opted for a broader range. I have been busy researching the various medical needs and while I do not feel I could ever be prepared for everything, I know we will be able because Christ is able.
I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength.
Phillipians 4:12-13
Now, I don't really think I know what it is to be in need physically. But I do know spiritual, emotional need and have tried to fill myself in many ways, none working too well for long. And I know that having a child (adopting or giving birth) magnifies that need because as a parent I often have no clue whatsoever what I am doing! I see my lacking oh so clearly! And now we are planning to adopt a child we don't know, whose condition won't be truly known until we meet her. I have started to realize that it is not the particular condition that is scary to me, rather the fact that we have no control whatsoever over this child's personality, past, experiences and current care. But please do pray she is being well cared for. She is very likely already born, since most children are one year old at the very youngest and we expect to travel some time in 2009.
In any case, all I can rely on is Christ. It is he who fills the need, he who gives strength when I need it, he who will provide.
I'll add a cute Lilla story here--she is very interested in figuring out where "the baby" will sleep. Side note, I am tryng to encourage her to call our next (and yes, last) daughter mei-mei, which means "little sister" in Chinese. Because I think Lilla would really like a baby who takes a bottle and will do whatever she tells her to do, but more likely, it will be a toddler. I don't want her to be disappointed that she may be getting someone who fights back!
Anyway, we have our old crib (funny I never got rid of that!) and a trundle bed, either of which will go in Lilla's room. Here's our exchange from the other day.
Lilla: I want the baby to sleep in my bed.
Katy: Well, probably not IN your bed. maybe on the trundle beside your bed.
Lilla: But how will I reach her to kiss her before bed at night?
(Awww...conversation continued, me misty-eyed...)
Katy: You can just kiss her before you get in bed and then climb over.
Lilla: Okay, but if she wakes up and cries at night, I will sing her a song. And if she still cries, THEN she can get in bed with me.
(Awww....)
Monday, September 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



8 comments:
Wow - I just read your recent blog and linked back to Lilla's blog and I got teary-eyed just remembering how it all happened.
This little girl is already being prayed for and she is already blessed to be getting 2 loving parents and 3 great siblings...God is great!
I'm so happy for you guys -
stacy
How wonderful! We will certainly be praying for all as you begin this journey together.
I loved your dialoge with Lila... she "sounds" just like our Caroline!
This little girl will be so blessed to be part of your family. Praise the Lord!
-Dawn
oh my. thank you for sharing that conversation with Lilla. what a wonderful voice she has.
We are following your journey!!!
Hadyn
Love the dialogue. Just catching up on your blog. Can't wait to see who this leads to!
Jeri
It's such a blessing that Lilla will have a sister--mei mei. We will be praying for you all on this journey.
I saw you put your name on the board at Intown, so we finally put out card out beside yours that we are adopting too. Since our wait has been over 2 years, we haven't wanted to fill out our name until now. Hopefully we'll have our little girl in 2009 as well. Thanks for all of the incredible support you have given me, Katy! You're the GREATEST!!
Love, Lisa
How wonderful! I read your prayer request in Got Kids on Sunday and never got to tell you in person how excited I am for you and your family. Thanks, too, for sharing your story about Lilla's anticipation - so sweet. I can't wait to hear how this new chapter unfolds for the Tubesings...
Alyssa
Interesting. I am in Atlanta and adopting from CHina and we are part of the WCP as well!
Awesome. We have a great adoption support group if you are ever interested.
This is a great post1
I'm friends with Gillian Peabody and we just started the adoption process. I would love to talk to you more about it. Here is my email if you have time: heinzfeet2@aol.com.
Thanks for your blog. I just read through this blog as well as the one on Lilla's story. LOVE IT!
Post a Comment